.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Your vs. You’re & There vs. Their


For this week, let’s continue with more word usage tips.

Your vs. You’re

“Your” is a possessive form of the word “you.” Examples of correct usage of the word “your”:

  • You left your hat at my apartment last night.
  • Your mother is my best friend.
  • Is that your dog?
“You’re” is a contraction of the words “you” and “are.” Examples of correct usage of the word “you’re”:
  • You’re my best friend.
  • I did not know that you’re Shelly’s sister.
  • I once sat where you’re sitting right now.
Example of correct usage of both words: I will water your plants while you’re gone.

There vs. Their

“There” refers to a place. Examples of correct usage of the word “there”:

  • I would like to go there someday.
  • I want my desk placed over there.
  • I knew I would find you there.
“Their” is a possessive form of “they.” Examples of correct usage of the word “their”:
  • Sometimes Carol and Jeff play guitar together, and I love their music.
  • Their house is beautiful.
  • Jessica and Alan say that their parents are a lot of fun.
Example of correct usage of both words: I am going to California with my parents. While I’m there, I am going to see their old high school.

No comments: