.

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

I Vs. Me



The pronouns “I” and “me” are often confused in writing and in common speech. “I” should be used as the subject in sentences and “me” should be used as the object in sentences.
“I” is a subject pronoun. It is the person performing the action.

For example: Michelle and I visited the local high school to conduct the experiment.

“I” visited the local high school with Michelle.

“Me” is an object pronoun. It is the person the action is done to.

For example: The local high school contacted Michelle and me about the experiment.

The school is the subject, and the school contacted “me.”

A good test is to see if the sentence makes sense when written or spoken with just the pronoun.

For example: The local high school contacted me.

You wouldn’t say: The local high school contacted I.

More examples:
  • Incorrect: The taxi drove Leslie and I to the airport.
  • Correct: The taxi drove Leslie and me to the airport.

  • Incorrect: Alisha and me felt like taking a walk at 4:00.
  • Correct: Alisha and I felt like taking a walk at 4:00.

  • Incorrect: My dad loves my sister and I.
  • Correct: My dad loves my sister and me.

No comments: