.

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

That vs. Who



Many years ago, a teacher corrected an essay of mine. Since I can’t remember the exact topic of the essay, let’s say I was recounting a dream that I’d had:

“Then, I ran into the woman that had given me the exam.”

Whoops. My teacher crossed out “that” and replaced it with, “who.” In the margin, she wrote, “That refers to objects. Who refers to people.”

Since then, I’ve found myself catching others’ misuse of these two words.

While it’s come to my attention that the English language is actually very forgiving of instances when individuals (whether in writing or in speech) interchange that and who, conventional grammar rules do offer a clear (and easy to remember) distinction.

That refers to objects.
  • I liked the shirt that fit me somewhat loosely.
  • I applied to a school that was known for its Visual Art program.
  • I trained the dog that knows how to “speak.”

Who refers to people.

  • She became best friends with the girl who played with her first.
  • I’m the one who taught the dog how to “speak.”
  • He’s the guy who found my keys at the gym.

See also: That vs. Which.

No comments: