.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Used to (and Would) vs. Use to



Last week a co-worker and I were discussing our biggest grammar pet peeves over lunch (yes, some of us nerdy-types do sit around and discuss this from time to time) and her biggest grammar pet peeve is when people write use to when they mean used to. There I sat with my fork in hand and my salad in front of me, wondering how often I was guilty of this grammar infraction. To be honest, I couldn’t remember the rules about when to use used to and when to use use to. I went back to work and did a little research and decided to share this with you as this week’s Tips and Tricks topic: when to use “used to (or would) vs. when to use “use to” (without the ‘d’).

Used to (or would)
1. When we say something used to happen, we are talking about repeated events and actions in the past, which usually are things that are now finished and no longer happening. (For this use of used to you can also use would.)
  • When Suzy was a child, she used to collect Barbie dolls. (When Suzy was a child, she would collect Barbie dolls.)
  • During the Great Depression, my grandfather used to sell scrap metal. (During the Great Depression, my grandfather would sell scrap metal.)
  • I used to go out a lot before having children. (I would go out a lot before having children.)

From the examples, we can assume that Suzy no longer collects Barbie dolls, my grandfather no longer sells scrap metal and I no longer go out a lot.

2. We also use used to when talking about repeated habits in the past (Here we cannot use would).

  • My cat used to hiss at squirrels.
  • My husband used to smoke.
  • I used to be a tribal administrative assistant.

These sentences imply that my cat no longer hisses at squirrels, my husband no longer smokes and I am no longer a tribal administrative assistant.

Use to (without the ‘d’)
The only time that we should use use to (without the ‘d’) is when it follows “did” or “didn’t” in a sentence. (Here we also cannot use would without changing the meaning).

  • Did you use to work in the same office as Sally?
  • Didn’t we use to go out?
  • What sort of games did your children use to like?
  • Sally and I did use to work together.
  • Due to the snowy winters, we didn’t use to go out much.

To spare my co-worker from the annoyance of her pet peeve, please remember this general tip: when “did” or “didn’t” is in the sentence, use use to (without the ‘d’), but when there is no “did” or “didn’t” in the sentence, use used to.

No comments: